Read time: 3 min
Turkey Tail mushrooms have been used for centuries to cure various diseases, including inflammation. They're also rich in antioxidants and can help boost your immune system.
Here are several health benefits of turkey Tail mushrooms:
1. Turkey Tail Mushrooms Have Antibacterial and Antifungal Activity:
Turkey Tail mushrooms have antibacterial and antifungal activity. Turkey Tail mushrooms are effective against bacteria, fungi and viruses. Research has shown that Turkey Tail mushrooms contain a variety of compounds that kill harmful pathogens such as E-coli, MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus), Candida albicans (yeast) and several other bacteria strains.
2. Turkey Tail Mushrooms Can Boost Immune System Function
There are several studies that have shown Turkey Tail mushrooms to have a positive effect on the immune system, which may be due to the beta-glucans they contain. Beta-glucans are a type of polysaccharide (carbohydrates) that have been found to boost the body's ability to fight off bacteria and viruses in humans.
In one study published in Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, researchers tested how effective Turkey Tail mushrooms were at boosting immune function by injecting mice with beta-glucans from Turkey Tails over five days. The results showed that those who received these injections had increased resistance to influenza and virus infections compared with control groups who didn't receive any injections.
3. Turkey Tail Mushrooms May Reduce Inflammation in the Body
Turkey Tail mushrooms are anti-inflammatory. This is because they contain the enzyme superoxide dismutase, which helps reduce inflammation in the body. They also contain the antioxidant ergothioneine, which helps reduce oxidative stress in your body and protect against free radical damage. The antioxidants beta-glucan and selenium have also been shown to help prevent damage from chronic inflammation.
4. Turkey Tail Mushrooms May Improve Gut Health
Turkey Tail mushrooms are a great source of fibre, which can improve your gut health. They also contain polysaccharides that help with digestive issues and inflammation in the colon.
Turkey Tail mushrooms can be taken to help with bowel movements as well as an immune system function, making them a great supplement for those who want to keep their body healthy and strong.
5. Turkey Tail Mushrooms Can Improve Heart Health
Turkey Tail mushrooms are a good source of selenium, which is a mineral that helps the body produce antioxidants to fight free radicals. In turn, this can help reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke.
Turkey Tail mushrooms are also a good source of copper, an important trace mineral that helps the body produce red blood cells. Copper deficiency can lead to anaemia, fatigue and joint pain.
6. Turkey Tail Mushrooms Anti-Tumor and May Prevent Cancer
Turkey Tail mushrooms have been shown to have anti-tumour activity. This study found that turkey Tail mushroom extract was able to suppress the growth of lung cancer cells and prevent them from forming tumours in mice. In this study, turkey Tail mushroom extract slowed down the growth of human prostate cancer cells by inhibiting their proliferation and inducing apoptosis (programmed cell death).
Another study found that turkey Tail extracts significantly reduced levels of two proteins that are usually elevated during cancer progression: Bcl-2 and cyclin D1. These two proteins prevent cell death from occurring naturally in healthy cells but are usually upregulated when cancers develop. The authors concluded that these results suggest that turkey Tail extracts may be beneficial for preventing or treating cancers associated with these abnormal cellular processes.
There are many benefits to adding mushrooms to your diet.
Mushrooms are a great addition to your diet. They're low in calories and high in nutrients. Mushrooms have been shown to have many benefits, including:
- Improving the immune system and fighting off infections
- Reducing stress levels by promoting relaxation and meditation
- Helping prevent cancer by lowering cholesterol levels, preventing plaque buildup in arteries, reducing inflammation caused by free radicals (which can lead to heart disease), and decreasing the risk of stroke or dementia due to brain cell damage from toxins such as radiation exposure or toxic chemicals like pesticides and heavy metals such as cadmium which accumulate over time leading up until an illness occurs.* improving brain function when consumed regularly. improving digestion when consumed regularly. helping with skin issues such as eczema/dermatitis etc...
We hope you've enjoyed learning about the many benefits of Turkey Tail mushrooms. They have so many unique properties and are a great addition to any diet.
Want to learn more?
Read about the benefits of adding lion's mane mushrooms to your diet, Turkey Tail Mushroom Tinctures Vs Powder - Which One is Best for You?, the benefits and risks of Caffeine.